Friday, May 04, 2007

The Character of a Wise Theologian

A wise theologian will enjoy losing an argument.

Obviously I'm not referring to 'losing' a debate with an atheist (such a debate can never actually be lost, though one may appear to lose).

But if, in a theological argument, you are taught, corrected or rebuked, then you are learning.

And if you're wise, the activity of learning will please you.

You wouldn't want to go on being wrong just for the sake of pride, would you?

So: If I see God in a dream tonight, I will ask for wisdom.

In fact, may I just keep asking God for wisdom anyway!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...I don't think my post went through the last time, but you may remember me, I was an American exchange student during your first semester at Oak Hill, and I stumbled upon your blog. I'm pursuing a teaching job in the UK, and was searching around for Oak Hill links, as I would want to connect to a church that is evangelical and holds firm to the Bible. I often like to ask other Christians what practices that they find the most helpful in maintaining their relationship with Christ, as I came from a tradition (Lutheran, but not anymore) that does not (sadly) emphasize some of the daily practices I noticed at Oak Hill, and strive to do myself. Any feedback? Thanks!

Ann Basinski

11:05 pm, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You absolutely sure you can't lose a debate with an atheist?

Kate

5:10 pm, August 22, 2007  
Blogger Andrew said...

OK, if you want to be pedantic...

But "you can't lose a debate with an Atheist" is clearly a rhetorical way of expressing my confidence in the truth of Jesus Christ - a way of saying "the gospel is true", or "the Bible is reliable" or "Jesus is Lord" or some-such, if you like...

So, yes, I'm perfectly confident on it!

11:01 am, September 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home