Monday, September 10, 2007

Grammar, Spelling and Usage

A couple of weeks ago the Times published this, which contains 32 errors of grammar, spelling and usage. Can you spot them?
"Being by nature a perfectionist, no one is keener than me to really get things right; indeed, had I not studied English to good affect, I may not have ended up working on The Times. However, although in some peoples’ book this might seem sacreligious, and even a council of despair, between you and I the lynchpin of good English lays in the acceptance that there are less rules than the hoi polloi believes. English spellings can offer three alternatives, and while not recommending pouring ad nauseum over dusty tomes, which would drive anyone beserk, recourse to a good dictionary mitigates against too many faux pars, and practise makes perfect. Writers disinterested in fact-checking will end up in dire straights with disasterous results, but even a miniscule effort at some elementary research brings it’s just desserts."

5 Comments:

Blogger Neil Jeffers said...

24 at first count. I may have another go when I have a bit more time (and less work).

Lovely to have you back blogging again.

9:18 am, September 10, 2007  
Blogger Ros said...

Can I spot them? Yes, of course.

6:24 pm, September 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I'm getting stuck at 18 or 19.
gav <><

10:34 am, September 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm stuck. What were the names of the CDs? I remember Valley of Vision and something like Worship Live but I haven't a clue what the 3rd one was.

Also, I can only find about 26 mistakes in the article. Oh well, I blame modern education!

3:18 pm, September 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the incorrect spelling of apologetics in the link to "Reformed Theology & Apologeitcs" opposite this article one of the mistakes?

12:01 pm, October 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home