Monday, August 07, 2006

'Well, I'm back,' he said.

Do you recognise the quote that is today's title? It is the very last line of one of my favourite books, stated by one of my favourite characters. Any guesses?

Oh the joy (and surprise) of being missed! [Note the comments on the post prior to this one.] I never dreamt that any who knew me would think that I'd run out of things to say. Maybe it was just flattery...

Just so you don't worry any further, I've got a whole long list of things to post on; the issue is getting round to it! I was snowed-under in the time between my promise of a week off and leaving for Maidwell 1 CYFA Camp, from which I have just returned yesterday. I had, of course, read the post on procrastination here, but it served only to tell me that posting would be time-wasting, and I owed those who had to sit through 10hrs of talks through Mark's Gospel a fair bit of effort.

But here I am, back again and raring to go. Plan is to limit myself to one post each day, with three main foci: thoughts on stuff & book reviews is what I have presented so far, but I'm wanting to think through a few 'two-minute answers to tough questions'. That's all I'll get over coffee after a sermon, or at a church door. Obviously the longer answers are vital, but they are less useful if I cannot condense them into a brief, exciting, winsome summary probably including only one Bible verse. I wish this were not how it had to be, and long for the day when families sit round Sunday lunch talking through the points of the sermon - but since we're not there yet, I need some great two-minute answers, and intend to try to work on some via this forum, so that they are either useful to others or corrected & improved by others!

If everyone could (read and then) post encouraging comments on Ros' blog here, that would really encourage her [see her comment on my previous post]. Were no comments forthcoming, we could only assume one thing, despite Marc's kind effort at pastoral sensitivity...

The answer on that quote in my title is:

Sam at the end of Lord of the Rings.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AT,

You should know that LOTR is one of Ros's least favourite books - there's pastorla sensitivity for you!

12:18 pm, August 08, 2006  
Blogger Ros said...

Thank you all for your kind concern - I'm feeling overwhelmed by the love. Who says Oak Hill students can't do pastoral care?

10:09 am, August 09, 2006  
Blogger Marc Lloyd said...

Isn't pastoral care all about Jay Adams-esque Nouthetic Confrontation anyway? Sensetive empathy is wicked unhelpful compromise with sin and all that? :)

12:19 pm, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Marc Lloyd said...

Oh, and I meant to say, Towner, if you must ration your blogging time like this, please can I put in a request for your favourate one-liners from Luther's table talk? I trust you'll feel free to intepret "one" there maximally, hey?

12:22 pm, August 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home