Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Jerusalem Rewritten

This is from John Piper, here. Thank you to Paddy McBain for pointing me to it. I like it! I've always loved the tune & here's a great set of words for it - and they're vaguely close to the original...
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon Israel's mountains green?
And did the Christ of heaven come down?
Was God in flesh both heard and seen?
And did He die to prove His love?
And did He rise more pow'rful still?
And was His rule on earth started there
Upon Golgotha's tragic hill?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of Fire!
I will not cease to spread His light;
My faith a shield, His Word my sword;
'Til Christ, my God, is crowned as King,
And all the earth shall own Him Lord
(Another great set of words to this tune is 'Before the Throne of God Above', which is a brilliant fit. Useful at weddings, on Remembrance Sunday, and on 'normal' Sundays too).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home