Thursday, June 05, 2008

Humility

This struck me this morning - from Jonathan Edwards' Religious Affections.

If you think you're being humble, you're actually being proud. If you think you're doing a humble action - that's pride.

If a servant washes a king's feet, that's not humility - its just normal. But if a king washes another king's feet, that humble.

Put that another way: we have to think that we're something to think that we're humble.

Which is pretty gutting to me personally.

But it also points me to my Saviour - King Jesus, the truly humble servant, who served me.

May that same mind be in me, not considering position, but bending down to wash feet...

4 Comments:

Blogger Neil Jeffers said...

Welcome back!

Perhaps engagement will spur more blogging?

9:10 am, June 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it's possible (normal?) to have a proud heart precisely when we're doing something outwardly humble. I'm in that club, too.

But it must be possible to be truly humble and also self-aware of one's humility - doesn't John 13v13-16 show that Jesus knew He was being humble? If we over-psychologise Edwards' wisdom (not that you are) then may we end up being too self-suspicious and give up doing humble things at all?!!!!

1:01 pm, July 03, 2008  
Blogger 1telos said...

the kind of humility that is not self aware happens when we are proportionally aware of someone more captivating than ourselves. When I see God's brilliance from the inside (instead of trying to look like I reall see God's brilliance) i forget myself and just move toward Him. In those times I do stuff that is humble simply because I forget to think of myself, not because I chose not to think of myself.

thanks for the good post!

Russell Minick

2:12 pm, September 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So to follow to the logic...

The only to be humble is for a king to wash the feet of another king and not see it as an act of humility. And that would only happen when the first king washed the feet of the second king out of love, out of care for the second king.

2:59 pm, January 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home